Constanza R.

Constanza R.

About Me

A multidimensional being perhaps? Throughout the years I have been able to experience a wide variety of job roles, one of those closest to my heart being an arts and drama facilitator. I have also enjoyed using art as a form of self-expression and healing, but I have also been able to do it with other beings around me. For more than 10 years I have been sharing the joys of creating and experimenting through these artistic forms with children and young people from several backgrounds living in London.

For more than four years I also worked within mainstream education as a learning support assistant, engaging young people with a wide range of special educational and emotional needs in learning. With all its challenges, I could see that within this role, creativity also came as one of the most important tools of expression and communication. More recently, I have worked as an MFL Teacher within secondary schools, which also influenced my practice as I observed that what young people need is to be able to create and innovate within the subject knowledge, not only to keep them motivated, but to make sure that they can learn effectively and reuse the knowledge gained.

After all this experience, I feel that my role is not only create but also to bring this experience to other beings who can gain a sense of achievement to become more confident about who they are and what they can do. Also, I feel that through my work children, young people and learners are more able to “learn to learn”, a skill that can be applied to any subject anywhere in the world. Therefore creativity combined with my creative and participant-centered pedagogical approach make up a very particular formula that can help others become who they truly are.

Saturday, 14 February 2015

On the question of citizenship education:



How important is it? Now in the midst of upcoming elections... how much do we feel that citizenship is taught in schools... or actually, how much of it is lived or experienced within schools. In the United Kingdom we saw a decrease in the importance of the subject, as it because secondary within the curriculum. Now, it is meant to be covered somehow, to be well qualified by ofsted. Yet, the question is, how well is it being implemented? and how necessary is it?

The estate of the little focus being given to educating good citizens, who are active within their social/political world, gives  a hint of hidden agendas that we must uncover. Whose education is it? What are our young people educated for? for whom? and do our politicians, leaders and business men/women really want young people to be active citizens? What would be the consequences of people believing and actually having a voice? Interesting paper, you can download by copying and pasting the link bellow.

https://www.academia.edu/9503136/Citizenship_Education_The_Feasibility_of_a_Participative_Approach?auto=bookmark&campaign=weekly_digest



Background: European and national policies on citizenship education stimulate the implementation of a participative approach to citizenship education, fostering active citizenship. The reason given for fostering active citizenship is the decline of participation in political and social life jeopardizing democracy. Schools have to implement a participative approach through stimulating participation within school and its direct environment, while fostering a certain kind of political literacy, critical thinking and analysing skills, certain kind of values, attitudes and behaviours. Purpose:...

No comments:

Post a Comment